Tuesday 18 June 2019

An Artist

Good Afternoon Bloggers!

Today I'd like you to write about an artist you like. It could be an artist from any discipline, music, theatre, fine arts like painting or sculpture, or visual arts like photography, the graphic novel. manga or anime. I'm going to write about Mervyn Peake, my favourite author, who was also a renowned illustrator in his day. I discovered Peake via one of my older sisters, Clare. I loved his books because of there insights of a "shadier" side of people's (or animals for that matter) character. I think the first illustrations I saw were from his children's book "Captain Slaughterboard Drops Anchor". It wasn't the sort of illustrations you would have expected for a kid's book, the characters were too real. and scary. A few years later I found a copy of one of Peake's nonsense poetry novels that he illustrated and I just loved his slightly dark sense of humour. Then I discover his illustrations of Alice through the looking glass (duh! Alice in Wonderland) which I found amazingly creative. I must add that I was already hooked on his boos by then. Anyway, I was lucky enough to see a wonderful exhibition in London in about 1986 that had a huge selection of his illustrations on show and it blew my mind. Peake never received the recognition he deserved during his lifetime but he has been repeatedly cited as an artist (illustrator, writer, painter) who was way ahead of his time.


Write about an artist you like.
Say:
Who the artist is,
How you discovered the artist,
What kind of work the artist does
What you like about the artist.

Mention anything you think is important or interesting. Try to write at least 200 words. Leave a comment on my blog and on the blogs of 3 classmates.

3 comments:

  1. Without knowing much about art I love the way it is expressed, it is very crazy (in a good way) and anyway, society was not prepared to receive their art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The illustrations are great. The level of detail of the characters makes them grotesque, I love it.

    ReplyDelete